[standards-jig] Namespaces

Dave Smith dizzyd at jabber.org
Tue Aug 6 17:55:11 UTC 2002

Greetings,

Ok, we've danced around the issues for a while. Time to get serious and
deal with namespaces and Jabber. While the XML that Jabber generates
(externally) is correctly namespaced, the server itself has no knowledge
of namespaces.  As a person who is working on a new client with full
support for namespaces, I can safely say that having the server _appear_
to support namespaces can cause many headaches. So where do we go from
here?

I would like to see us as a community set a date goal for ourselves to
having proper namespace support in our servers. I believe we must do
this to provide sufficient motivation to have the transition complete
within a finite amount of time. My guess is that this transition will
take at most a year (September 1, 2003)? During this timespan we would
probably have breakage with clients that don't support properly
namespaced connections, so we'd have to work through some strategies for
figuring out at connection time whether or not a client has full
namespace support; one way of doing this would be to have namespaced
servers and clients using a different port; or vice-versa.

These points are all just a starting point for this process, but I
believe that we _must_ pursue full namespace compliance in the near
future.

Comments? :)

Diz