[standards-jig] Namespaces

David Waite mass at akuma.org
Wed Aug 7 16:47:07 UTC 2002

Jeremie wrote:

>>What I said in a roundabout way is I don't really see what's so wrong
>>with what we're doing now.
>>

>At this point I only see one thing wrong: we're forcing the use of static
>prefixes to be sent by the client.  So far it's been an "ok" thing but in
>the long run it ends up causing confusion with other namespace xml usage
>and with the growing number of namespace aware DOM libraries out there
>that generate their own prefixing schemes that would have to be worked
>around, it's too strict.

The other thing which would be rather nice is if server connections and
component connections sent messages and the like in the 'jabber:client'
namespace rather than in the 'jabber:server' or
'jabber:component:accept' namespaces. A message in the jabber:client
namespace 'becomes' a message in the jabber:server namespace during
transport, which doesn't matter now (since the namespace context of
traffic from a client is not understood by the server), but will matter
soon (once the server understands namespaces, it will have to rewrite
every packet multiple times.)

-David Waite