[standards-jig] Namespaces

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Wed Aug 7 23:39:25 UTC 2002

> The other thing which would be rather nice is if server connections and
> component connections sent messages and the like in the 'jabber:client'
> namespace rather than in the 'jabber:server' or
> 'jabber:component:accept' namespaces. A message in the jabber:client
> namespace 'becomes' a message in the jabber:server namespace during
> transport, which doesn't matter now (since the namespace context of
> traffic from a client is not understood by the server), but will matter
> soon (once the server understands namespaces, it will have to rewrite
> every packet multiple times.)

Oh wow. I completely missed this one, and of course its correct. Hmm.

[thinking out loud]

How hard would it be, I wonder, to start gradually moving top-level
packets into their own namespace, seperate from the stream "type"? The
XMPP drafts already do this to some extent - the schemas for <message>,
<presence> and <iq> say that those elements are the
'http://www.jabber.org/protocol' namespace.

Then perhaps, if necessary, add an additional attribute or namespace to
the stream that specifies the stream "type" - roughly analogous to the
use of jabber:client/jabber:server/jabber:component:accept.

Rob.