[standards-jig] JNG Ramblings.

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Thu Aug 8 23:23:50 UTC 2002

> I still don't like a binary wire protocol. I know you like it very much,
> but I think it's a stupid idea. (No more comments on this, but I wanted
> to say this for a long time now *g*).

I disagree. The easiest and most efficient way to do framing is in this
way. If we do it as text (ala JEP-0017), we're forced to parse a string,
then convert it into an int. We also have to look for a delimeter that
marks the end of the framing data, while not reading past it, since
everything after it has to go to the XML parser.

Having it as a fixed set of bytes makes life dead simple. You just read
a fixed number of bytes off the wire, apply some basic bit masks, maybe
do some shifting, and you know exactly where your data is.

Unfortunately, we do make life that little bit harder for people typing
stuff into a raw socket, but how many people actually do that?

Rob.