[standards-jig] JNG Ramblings.

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Fri Aug 9 00:31:20 UTC 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Robert Norris wrote:
 [...snip...]
> Unfortunately, we do make life that little bit harder for people typing
> stuff into a raw socket, but how many people actually do that?

I know at least two people who do that regularly, stpeter and myself. I
wouldn't be at all surprised if more developers do it. Its a good way to
debug code... much easier than using a client that may issues commands
before you want them to be sent across.

I *suppose* some sort of debug tool could be written that allows you to do
basically the same thing, but right now its not necessary, cause you just
telnet to the port.

To me this is a nice and easy, and I'd hate to see that functionality
disappear forever. (Look, I realize it will need to in order to maximize
performance, but a man can dream, can't he?)

I do understand the advantages of a binary framing protocol, but I think
we'd be giving up a lot in the way of ease of use if/when we do that.

/me shrugs.

bs.