[standards-jig] JNG Ramblings.

Joe Hildebrand jhildebrand at jabber.com
Fri Aug 9 17:37:16 UTC 2002

Mike Lin <mikelin at MIT.EDU> writes:

> I recall that at one point Jabber.NET was feeding characters to its XML
> parser one at a time, because otherwise it would block. I think now it's
> doing something only slightly cleverer. Joe is a smart guy, and I don't
> think he would do something this bad if the protocol and tools available
> to him didn't make him.

It wasn't the protocol.  It was some lameness in the implementation of
the XML stuff in .Net.  Basically, even though you are pull parsing,
you can't ask the parser if there is anything left pending to parse.

And, if I wasn't bent on allowing things like connection managers to
be written in .Net, it never would have come up, since a single thread
per parser would have been fine.  The amount of code to do just that
much was probably less that 100 lines of C#.

In case anyone is interested, the work-around I used was to break up
the input on each '>'.  I didn't need to do angle-bracket counting, I
didn't need a framing protocol, and it didn't add much overhead at
all.

--
Joe Hildebrand