[standards-jig] JNG Ramblings.

Mike Lin mikelin at MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 10 01:12:47 UTC 2002

> It wasn't the protocol.  It was some lameness in the implementation of
> the XML stuff in .Net.  Basically, even though you are pull parsing,
> you can't ask the parser if there is anything left pending to parse.

It wouldn't have mattered if you knew ahead of time how many bytes to
parse. We should not be bound by the lameness of our XML stuff. Any XML
parser is perfectly capable of parsing a fixed number of bytes.

It's the protocol's fault because it forces us to use XML processing
suites in ways they were never designed to be used. And this isn't Bob
Schmuck's XML parser that had to be hacked around. This is the Microsoft
.NET CLR, which uses XML pervasively.

> In case anyone is interested, the work-around I used was to break up
> the input on each '>'.  I didn't need to do angle-bracket counting, I
> didn't need a framing protocol, and it didn't add much overhead at
> all.

What about the part where you disassembled a class from the CLR and
translated it back to C#? That's a particularly impressive technical
feat, of course, but it should not have been necessary.

-Mike