[standards-jig] JNG Ramblings.

Mike Lin mikelin at MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 10 14:20:32 UTC 2002

> XML is a _document_ markup language. The way in which jabber uses it is
> _extremely_ convoluted, because rather than considering a message as a
> document, it considers the entire session as a document. There is
> nothing which requires an XML parser inform the application of
> _anything_ until the the document has been completely parsed, or an
> error has occured with the formatting (non-wellformedness, schema
> violation).  As long as our messages are a subset of an XML document, we
> will have a subset of tools which support the protocol.

I certainly agree that XML is a document markup language, that Jabber
uses it in an extremely convoluted way, and that XML parsers are not
required to return events in the way that Jabber needs them to.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, and I apologize in advance if I am, but
I assume what you mean to say in the last sentence is that as long as we
use a streaming document, we will have a subset of tools which DON'T
support the protocol.

Which is why my design dumps the streaming document.

I'm sorry, but this is really terribly frustrating. I'm spending all
this time carefully reading mostly knee-jerk reactions to an idea I've
been thinking about for a long time. Why are you trying to criticize my
ideas when you obviously haven't read them, let alone thought them
through?

-Mike