[standards-jig] Invisibility Support in Jabber

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Mon Aug 12 17:05:49 UTC 2002

On 8/9/02 12:23 PM, "Ben Schumacher" <ben at blahr.com> wrote:

> Iain-
>
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Iain Shigeoka wrote:
>> I'll violently protest your idea to make you happy.  :)  Bad!
>
> Thank you! Finally, somebody!
>
>> Actually, I recognize the need but would like to suggest that you take a
>> look at wireless-village to see how they handle invisibility.  I think their
>> basic approach is elegant and has obviously been thought about in terms of
>> being a person with multiple online "personalities".  Their use cases
>> include things like maintaining presence for work, customers, friends, and
>> family and how you'd like to change your presence easily and intelligently
>> (e.g. If you're available to work contacts, you're probably unavailable to
>> friends).
>>
>> Perhaps we should be using some of their ideas to modify the basic Jabber
>> presence visibility model.
>
> Could you point me to the relevant documentation? While I'm not convinced
> radically changing the presence visibility model is necessary at this
> point, as I think my suggestion gives us the functionality we want, I'd be
> willing to dig into it deeper. I looked around their site, but was unable
> to find anything useful.

I reviewed my docs and it looks like it won't help out as much as I'd hoped
without major changes to the way rosters are handled.  WV allows multiple
contact lists (rosters) for a particular user and separates the idea of
subscriptions from rosters which makes it a bit easier to manage.  I think
for now your proposal is the simpler and more practical way to do this.

Any major revamp to the roster stuff will probably have to wait until JNG
and probably rely on the new pub/sub stuff anyhow.

-iain