[standards-jig] JNG Ramblings.

Mike Lin mikelin at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 13 16:49:21 UTC 2002

> As for simplifying things for the programmer...  All you have to do right now,
> is open a socket, send XML, and send the incoming XMl directly to a parser.

This is just not true, and if you still think it's true, you have not
been paying attention to this thread. You cannot just send anything
directly to the parser under the completely reasonable conditions of
asynchronous socket input, because almost no XML parsers are reentrant.
I'm not going to explain it again, so please go back and read some of my

> It's not baloney.  It's one of the core design decisions that was made from
> the beginning.  Either you accept that, or your don't.  Jabber is XML.
> Period.  It's one of the fresh ideas that seperates Jabber from the other
> messaging systems out there.

I think the idea that our wire protocol should be purely XML only is
wrong. I think it was a mistake, and I think it is a mistake that I and
many other developers have paid dearly for.

-Mike