[standards-jig] NEW JEP: Jabber Database Access

Joe Hildebrand JHildebrand at jabber.com
Wed Aug 28 17:09:02 UTC 2002

Is there any reason why we need a new SQL syntax?  What I mean is, is this
JEP still useful if it only specifies the embedded query approach?  Once you
fully xml-ize SQL, you will have recreated all of the complexity and
incompatibility of SQL.  I've been down this road several times, and have
*never* been pleased with the results.

I can understand the need for meta-data, for table descriptions.  Could we
extend the x:data <reported/> section, to have column sizes and null
constraints, and get all of this functionality?  I'm not sure about this
one.  It just seems like there's a possibility.

Is there any way to leverage x:data in the select result sets?  I think that
the <item/> syntax, along with the <reported/> description approach from the
latest draft is a nice fit.

--
Joe Hildebrand