[standards-jig] LAST CALL: Service Discovery (JEP-0030)

Jeremy Nickurak atrus at rifetech.com
Tue Dec 3 17:52:03 UTC 2002

If a non-disco solution was to be persued, I really don't think it
should be JEP-0013. In order to cover the range of possibile
applications I'm thinking of, a much more generic procotol would be in
order, in particlar, with no references to offline storage, pop, etc. As
well, such a protocol would probabbly benifit from some further
managment utilities, such as the ability to add/remove/move items around
in a hierarchy. While I do think disco could benifit from some of that
remote-editability, it may be too much for a simple protocol.

A new archive/mailbox reading jep might be a better way to go about it,
that would implement the offline-message reading ability of JEP-0013
along the way. I was just hoping that disco might accomplish the same
thing, and therefore provide a little more universal client support.

--
Jeremy Nickurak <atrus at rifetech.com>