[standards-jig] LAST CALL: Service Discovery (JEP-0030)

Alexey Shchepin alexey at sevcom.net
Wed Dec 4 14:17:50 UTC 2002

Hello, Robert!

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:39:20 +1100, you said:

 >> One more example: jabberd1.4 in browse reply to one of the admins of this
 >> server inserts "Online Users" item with jid='servername/admin'.  But this
 >> is again JID overloading, and works only because this JID not used
 >> anywhere.  For me looks better if server sends this in disco reply like
 >> <item jid='servername' id='online users'/>.
 RN> I disagree - servername/admin (or servername/users and
 RN> servername/sessions, as my plan is for j2) is entirely appropriate - its a
 RN> different JID, so different results can be expected.

It works only because server not use this resources in another cases.  If I
want to do somethng similar with client (or with service that connected as
client) that already have resource, then I'll have troubles with using resource
for this.

Why not to simply append hierarchy identifiers (e.g. "/users") to resource:

1) JID is restricted in length.  Of course in practice this must be deep
hierarchy, but who know what we will have in future.

2) It stops to work if we have another JID logged in with partially matched
resource (I mean e.g. with "/u" appended, then all packets with "/u" will
routed to him instead of first JID).  Currently all JIDs have 3 levels of
hierarchy: server, node, resource.  If we really want to use JID with more
levels, then need to e.g. explicitly define meaning of "/" symbol in resource
identifiers and deny of login JID with resource that are child of another
already logged resource.  (Sorry for my english)
<crazy>
Or even make new JID format, something like
"/server/node/resource/subresource/...", "/server/conference
service/jdev/participant", etc...
</crazy> <!-- just a thought :) -->