[standards-jig] Re: LAST CALL: Service Discovery (JEP-0030)

Jean-Louis Seguineau/EXC/TEC jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com
Wed Dec 4 19:33:26 UTC 2002

The JEP as it stands is totaly geared toward a client/server dialog. It is
not totaly adequate in the case of component/server or server/server dialog.
I would like to have a way to distinguish between various orginator (client,
component, server) and have rdifferent eplies sent out  for each requestor
category. I don't know if this is putting adequately, but information
returned by disco could be 'public' and available to any requestor, and some
may be 'private' or for some defined JID's eyes only.
One certainly understand that a component might for example be interrested
in knowing detail about the session manager running on the server, whereas a
client would not have to know about it. This was one of the deficiencies of
earlier attempts at discovering services (agents, browse) and this is not
corrected in the current disco proposal.
Not having that kind of capability would lead to using different protocol
for features discovery if one is programing for a client or for a
component/server. My take is that should be in the core disco rather than
being handled by an extension. Doing so would make disco the real
'extensible container' protocol it deserve to be.

Jean-Louis Seguineau
CTO
Antepo, Inc.