[standards-jig] LAST CALL: Service Discovery (JEP-0030)

Joe Hildebrand JHildebrand at jabber.com
Fri Dec 6 20:33:38 UTC 2002

Alexy:
> E.g. clients can't send replies from any JID except
> user at server/resource.  So if we want to make such
> hierarchy, then this will look strange that replies comes
> not from JID they sended to...

Ah!  Now that makes sense to me.  I didn't quite see what the fuss was until
now.

I think this is actually an addressing problem, and not necessarily (yet) a
disco problem.

Imagine a Jabber client that is also providing non-IM services (like xmlrpc
endpoints, etc).

There must be a way to sub-address those services.  Yes, it is possible to
rely on implementations to route foo at bar/baz/bar to a connection that authed
with foo at bar/baz, but that is limiting in a variety of ways.

Once there is a way to address those services, *then* there needs to be a
way to discover them, and their children.

I guess the question is, do we need to pause disco development while we
solve the addressing issue?

--
Joe Hildebrand