[standards-jig] Two Jabber features for the wishlist...

Michael Brown michael at aurora.gen.nz
Sun Dec 8 11:52:55 UTC 2002

I may have missed something in the docs (feel free to point me in the right
direction if this is the case), but there are two features that I think are
badly needed but don't exist in the current specs:

1) Jabber equivalent to email aliases.

I would really like a way to be able to be online with one Jabber account,
but have messages from multiple JID's sent to my contact list.  I use this a
lot with email.  Eg I may want to be logged on as user at home.org but people
who have added me as user at work.com would also see me online.  This could be
taken further, and allow the user to log on and off specific "virtual JID's"
at will, but I would settle for static ones for now.

2) Sending events to an offline resource.

Often I am talking to someone who is at work (say user2 at isp.net/work) about
a non-work related topic - say I have found a URL of interest, but he/she
doesn't currently have time to read it.  I then want to send it to them (say
user2 at isp.net/home which is offline) so that it is waiting for them when
they get home.

I know both of these have problems - eg there is no way to search a list of
resources that are offline etc - but has anyone looked at implementing these
features?

Michael.