[standards-jig] SMS & Jabber

Michael Brown michael at aurora.gen.nz
Wed Dec 11 09:00:54 UTC 2002

> I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to communicate on IM from
my Mobile PDA with SMS.

> AOL's IM offers the ability to send and receive IM's through Verizon
Wireless service.  However, I don't have Verizon and is not offered as
service through my mobile PDA.

> Any JEPs suggesting a link to AOL IM and another messaging server on the
web that sends and receives SMS?

IMO SMS should just be supported as a regular transport.  All it would need
is a simple transport that talked to the API provided from an SMS wholesaler
(there are several in Australia and around the world).

The down side to this is you would generally require an account with the SMS
provider, as someone has to pay for the messages you send.  (Or maybe it is
an upside...who would have though, Jabber generating revenue for someone)

Michael.