[standards-jig] note to JEP authors

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Dec 12 04:37:36 UTC 2002

It's been brought to my attention that recent changes I made to the JEP
template (namely, pulling in external entities for the legal notice) do
NOT work when you attempt to view your XML file in a browser (or at least
in Mozilla, since it does not support external entities). I will update
the template to address this issue, but I'd like to also note that I have
started adding more and more entities to the jep.ent file, such as easy
references to all the JEPs, for example:

<!ENTITY jep0045 "Multi-User Chat <note>JEP-0045: Multi-User Chat (<link
url='http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0045.html'>http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0045.html</link>)</note>"

So in this example, you just have to type &jep0045; instead of the title
and the reference. Kinda handy.

However, these external entities will work only if you process your XML
document using xsltproc or somesuch, rather than view it in a browser.
This is unfortunate. :( Anyone know if IE supports external entities?

Thanks for listening. ;)

Jabber Software Foundation