[standards-jig] Pondering DTCP

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Thu Dec 12 21:27:23 UTC 2002

Matthias,

On Thursday 12 December 2002 01:11 pm, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> There ARE always better ways to transfer files ... the client authors
> just have to implement it.

I agree nearly any transfer method is better than IBB.  However, the reason it
is exists is that in theory it should always work (though you have now proven
me wrong ...).

When I first wrote up IBB, it was intended to be used as just a transitional
protocol.  That is, until proxies became more common.  Later though, I
noticed many admins saying that they would never install a proxy.  What is a
user to do in that case?

I will quote JEP-0047:

"...useful for sending small payloads, such as files that would otherwise be
... impossible to send (such as a small binary image file..."

So over your server I can chat all I want (overloading my friend with pastes
from other chats), but a 200 byte PNG file is "impossible to send"?  That is
silly.  Data transfer to my friend is certainly possible, since I am able to
chat with him.  Who cares if I wish to send binary data?

-Justin