[standards-jig] Pondering DTCP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Dec 12 22:58:06 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Justin Karneges wrote:

> Two additional possible uses for DTCP:
>
> - Direct client-to-client exchanging of XML.
> - TCP tunneling, for arbitrary application use (say, a chess game).

These are not uses, they are features. What real-world applications would
these be used for? For example, would direct exchange of XML be used for
real-time document editing or SVG rendering or something like that (and if
so, why could we not do that by passing the XML through the server, is
there something special about such applications that makes peer-to-peer
necessary)? And what are the real-world uses for TCP tunneling? File
transfer I understand (though I still prefer scp-ing something to my web
server and sending someone a URL), but these other potential uses are
rather nebulous to me.

Jabber Software Foundation