[standards-jig] Pondering DTCP

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Fri Dec 13 00:40:40 UTC 2002

On Thursday 12 December 2002 02:58 pm, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Justin Karneges wrote:
> > Two additional possible uses for DTCP:
> >
> > - Direct client-to-client exchanging of XML.
> > - TCP tunneling, for arbitrary application use (say, a chess game).
>
> These are not uses, they are features. What real-world applications would
> these be used for? For example, would direct exchange of XML be used for
> real-time document editing or SVG rendering or something like that (and if
> so, why could we not do that by passing the XML through the server, is
> there something special about such applications that makes peer-to-peer
> necessary)? And what are the real-world uses for TCP tunneling? File
> transfer I understand (though I still prefer scp-ing something to my web
> server and sending someone a URL), but these other potential uses are
> rather nebulous to me.

One company I've been talking with absolutely wants peer-to-peer messaging
capability, to reduce server load.  This would make their service similar to
ICQ, where thru-server messages are just a fallback.  Whether or not this is
smart is debatable, but the point is that you would not want to have a
separate TCP connection scheme for chatting if you already have one for File
Transfer.  Analogous to this is IRC's DCC, which supports Chat and File using
a common base.  There is a method to my madness, I swear :)

As for arbitrary TCP tunneling, that could be used for any kind of server
application that may want take advantage of DTCP's reverse connections.  Say
you are behind NAT, but wish to serve http?  or mp3 streaming?  All is
possible.

-Justin