[standards-jig] Pondering DTCP

Jan Niehusmann jan at gondor.com
Fri Dec 13 11:40:51 UTC 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:11:17PM -0600, Thomas Muldowney wrote:
> structured protocol connecting _out_ to a master server.  If we are to
> think of DTCP as anything other than a file transfer protocol we need
> solid examples that are plausible.

I'd like to see some remote login capabilities. While helping people
with computer related problems, I often get to the point where I need
a login on the remote computer. But installing an ssh server is often
beyond the capabilities of the user, and even if sshd is installed,
he may still be hidden behind some kind of NAT. If DTCP offered a SSL
secured transparent TCP connection, it would be possible to add remote
login functionality to a jabber client.

Of course there are other possibilites to get a remote shell, but just
pressing a 'request remote shell' button while discussing some technical
problem, and showing directly how to solve the problem would be very
convenient.

Jan