[standards-jig] Pondering DTCP

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Fri Dec 13 16:16:21 UTC 2002

Hi Jan!

Jan Niehusmann wrote:

>I'd like to see some remote login capabilities. While helping people
>with computer related problems, I often get to the point where I need
>a login on the remote computer.

There are well established protocols for this (xdm, ssh, Microsoft
remote assistance to just name some).

As there are different requirements for different computer systems (text
or graphics, type of GUI) I don't think this can be done with one Jabber
standard. - And I don't think we need a new standard. The only think
Jabber can help is to pass pointers (containing protocol name and host
address) that I user doesn't have to specify this on its own.

Opening shells to remote users has to be done very carefully (security)
and there are people specialized in this (the implementors of the
mentioned protocols).

I don't think that Jabber needs to have its own protocol for everything.
Jabber is the glue that keeps the components together.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--
Fon: +49-(0)70 0770 07770	http://matthias-wimmer.de/