[standards-jig] Pondering DTCP

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Fri Dec 13 16:46:56 UTC 2002

Hi Tom!

Tom wrote:

>MP3 Streaming over IBB is far better than _nothing_ and that's exactly what
>I have now.  I need an IM client that can do messages and files.  To hell
>with HTTP, MP3, RTP, VoIP, etc, etc.  IMHO, Jabber should not deal directly
>with any of these.  And hence, DTCP is not my concern at all, but there is
>one shiny thing I like about it: IBB.

DTCP and IBB are two different protocols. DTCP uses direct client to
client connections, IBB transfers the data inband with the XML stream.

... and I don't think that you are able to stream MP3s with IBB on any
of the public servers. Karma will prevent you on every public server to
stream music through it.

>I don't want to throw up a server and portforward, if available, everytime
>I want a file sent or recieved.

With a good implementation of HTTP (using GET and PUT) and
helper-servers at the Jabber server you can use HTTP transfers and don't
need to setup a port forward or your own HTTP server. You will just
click on "send file" in your client.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--