[standards-jig] A Proposal to the DTCP/JOBS/PASS madness

Jan Niehusmann jan at gondor.com
Fri Dec 13 17:34:32 UTC 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 09:52:46AM -0700, Dave Smith wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I did some thinking last nite and have an idea on how we can deal with
> some of the outstanding issues facing the community. Let me now present
> my case..

Your proposal has a few disadvantages:

- it's difficult to read :-)
- it may take a long time to establish a connection, because the clients
  may have to wait for a TCP connection timeout before they notice that
  a connection is not possible.
- a client may not know that it is firewalled, so how to decide if a
  proxy is necessary?

OTOH, having a completely transparent TCP connection is nice and clean.
Perhaps that could even be extended to allow UDP 'connections', allowing
an even wider range of protocols? (Adding UDP support would be
non-trivial because UDP doesn't have a notion of 'established
connections', though)

Jan