[standards-jig] SMS & Jabber

Jean-Louis Seguineau/EXC/TEC jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com
Fri Dec 13 17:37:21 UTC 2002

The wireless village initiative is dead. No aggreement have been reached
among large members about implementing the support in mass market terminal
devices, and all manufacturer are walking away abnd comming back to
proprietary solutions.
In any case having a WV compliant interface wouldn have meant having a WV
client protocol implemented, and above all would not have meant beaing able
to get rid of the SMS gateway.
Today there is one single big player (Logica/CMG) that represent some 70% of
the SMS center market and several smaller players (Erricsson, Nokia, Sema)
and all these machines belong to telcos. Without access to a telco network,
no SMS is possible, as SMS uses the SS7 signaling path.

I am sorry to say that your analysis is not up to date with the actaul state
of this market, and that apart from being a good source of ideas to
implement protocoles, the WV initiative will not lead to concrete
realisations.

That said, we do provide commercial grade XMPP/SMS gateways using either
SMPP, CMIP or UCP as connection protocol. We have several of this gateways
operating in telcos environment, and you would not find another way of doing
SMS: there should be acommercial agreement between the XMPP service provider
and an
SMS provider, either directly or through a third party.