[standards-jig] A Proposal to the DTCP/JOBS/PASS madness

Jan Niehusmann jan at gondor.com
Fri Dec 13 20:33:04 UTC 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 08:09:52PM +0100, Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> I don't think you've covered the problem of establishing a generic
> bytestream between two peers, just by providing a way to set up an IPv4
> socket between two peers. You should be able set up a generic
> bytestream for filetranfser or other purposes (incl. asynchronous!)
> regardless of wether you want to use a socket for it or not.

As jabber itself doesn't even need IP (it may as well be implemented
through a serial line), every attempt to implement out-of-band
communication is condemned to fail in some situation.

Additionally, out-of-band connections are against the basic principle of
jabber, to have a single c2s channel and leave all the routing worries
to the server.

Unfortunately, real-world issues prevent the transfer of arbitrarily
large amounts of data through the jabber servers. This is the
fundamental reason to implement out-of-band file transfer.

If you only have a single network connection to use, I don't see how you
could create an out-of-band communication link at all, so you have to
live with the bandwidth limitations the server imposes.

Jan