[standards-jig] A Proposal to the DTCP/JOBS/PASS madness

Jan Niehusmann jan at gondor.com
Fri Dec 13 22:05:25 UTC 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 09:52:46AM -0700, Dave Smith wrote:
> PF2.) Initiator sends its IP/port in a IQ/set to Target, accompanied by
> a stream ID [A1]
> PF3.) Target connects to a provided connection[A2][A5]
> PF4.) Target sends IQ/set to the JID of the connection it is connected
> to for identification purposes
> 	  NOTE: The Target provides the IP/port of the _peer_ it is connected
> to with a stream ID

I just noticed that your proposal has another disadvantage: You can't
use the same port to listen for more than one connection.  This is bad
because it hinders people who are behind NAT to configure proper port
forwarding, as the jabber client needs to listen on several ports if it
should support more than one transfer at a time.

I don't know how to solve that problem without some handshake on the TCP
connection. Does anybody have an idea? With this discussion becoming
more and more constructive lately, I'm positive we are heading for a
much better protocol than anyone of us could have designed alone!

Jan