[standards-jig] SMS & Jabber

Tony Bamonti tbamonti at jabber.com
Fri Dec 13 23:27:06 UTC 2002

With all due respect, your assertion that Wireless Village is dead is at
best an exaggeration and at worst outright wrong.   While Wireless Village
as an independent initiative has ceased to exist, it is now part of the
greater Open Mobile Alliance family.  There is still significant commitment,
progress and work on-going based on the WV specifications.  I think that the
companies that are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars as OMA sponsor
members and employing people full time to work on instant messaging
standards within OMA would argue vehemently with your assessment.  These
efforts are still being strongly driven by Nokia, Motorola and Ericsson and
appear to have significant support by the wireless carrier/operator
communities.  While some manufacturers may be taking a short term strategy
of deploying a proprietary solution to get a product to market, there still
appears to be a strong strategic commitment to defining and deploying mobile
standards by the leading manufacturers and carriers.

I will however concede that you are correct with regard to how SMS is being
supported and deployed today and probably for the forseeable
future.......SMS really doesn't require WV and the SMS gateway and center
operators are still critical to the equation.  But I also believe you will
see a much stronger demand for OMA IM&P standards compliance by wireless
operators over the course of the next 12 months.