[standards-jig] DTCP using HTTP as a handshake, plus proxy

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Sat Dec 14 11:57:54 UTC 2002

Justin Karneges <justin-jdev at affinix.com> wrote on 14-12-2002 4:03:06:

>Hi all,
>
>I've modified my unofficial DTCP doc to use an HTTP handshake
>procedure, and modified the Relay concept accordingly (now end-to-end
>with SSL over proxy is possible).  It is very rough, and I can
>guarantee you I probably screwed up some of the HTTP parts, but maybe
>this is the right idea?
>
>  http://www.affinix.com/~justin/dtcp.html
>
>This was actually very little modification to DTCP, mainly just
>changes to the line protocol.  Everything else is still there, which
>means that it is as capable as it always was, but now moreso.

Looks nice, but it's not HTTP/1.1 compatible yet (no "Host: " header).
It doubt it will work well with an HTTP proxy.

And HTTP CONNECT is still only in the updated HTTP/1.1 RFC, where the
only mention is:

"
9.9 CONNECT
This specification reserves the method name CONNECT for use with a
proxy that can dynamically switch to being a tunnel (e.g. SSL tunneling
[44]). "

So I don't see that much difference with the "old" DTCP, it's still a
wireprotocol, it's not real (standerdized) HTTP. (but hey, whatever
brings in the votes ;)

--
Tijl Houtbeckers
Java/J2ME/GPRS Software Engineer @ Splendo