[standards-jig] SMS & Jabber

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Sun Dec 15 20:13:32 UTC 2002

On 12/13/02 15:27, "Tony Bamonti" <tbamonti at jabber.com> wrote:

> I will however concede that you are correct with regard to how SMS is being
> supported and deployed today and probably for the forseeable
> future.......SMS really doesn't require WV and the SMS gateway and center
> operators are still critical to the equation.  But I also believe you will

Agreed. SMS gateway support is of course something nice to have. But that's
on the level of email gateway support which is simple (dare I say trivial)
and probably below the level of complexity where we need any standards work.
Vendors can roll their own solutions in this area without any work from the
JSF.

> see a much stronger demand for OMA IM&P standards compliance by wireless
> operators over the course of the next 12 months.

I completely agree. Unless a vendor specifically is doing a bundle deal with
AIM, MSN, Yahoo, they will probably have native support for WV in future
products. This is core OS support on the level of WAP support from people
like Symbian.

When appropriate, I think it would be beneficial for us to pull a Jabber to
OMA integration standard together so that any Jabber system can consistently
and with high fidelity, access OMA systems.

-iain