[standards-jig] Re: SMS and Jabber

jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com
Sun Dec 15 23:30:48 UTC 2002

With all due respect, your assertion that Wireless Village
heritage will live is at best an exaggeration and at worst
outright wrong:)
The game is going to take place between SIP/SIMPLE and
another contender. I believe XMPP could be that contender,
although some recent short sighted behaviour make me feel
this remain to be done...

But if you were more informed of the big manufacturers
tactics you would know that pouring money into side
initiative is a base behaviour, and usually help those
company better understand certain phenomena like IM. The
recent departure of Motorola, and the clear statements of
both Nokkia and Ericsson to concentrate on their
proprietary message extensions clearly  indicate that they
have got the juice out of the experiment. Not a single
demonstrator has lived to its expectation, not one has even
lived.

Quoting standards-jig-request at jabber.org:

jig at jabber.org>
> Subject: RE: [standards-jig] SMS & Jabber
> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:27:06 -0700
>
> With all due respect, your assertion that Wireless
Village is dead is
> at
> best an exaggeration and at worst outright wrong.   While
Wireless
> Village
> as an independent initiative has ceased to exist, it is
now part of
> the
> greater Open Mobile Alliance family.  There is still
significant
> commitment,
> progress and work on-going based on the WV
specifications.  I think that
> the
> companies that are spending hundreds of thousands of
dollars as OMA
> sponsor
> members and employing people full time to work on instant
messaging
> standards within OMA would argue vehemently with your
assessment.
> These
> efforts are still being strongly driven by Nokia,
Motorola and Ericsson
> and
> appear to have significant support by the wireless
carrier/operator
> communities.  While some manufacturers may be taking a
short term
> strategy
> of deploying a proprietary solution to get a product to
market, there
> still
> appears to be a strong strategic commitment to defining
and deploying
> mobile
> standards by the leading manufacturers and carriers.
>
> I will however concede that you are correct with regard
to how SMS is
> being
> supported and deployed today and probably for the
forseeable
> future.......SMS really doesn't require WV and the SMS
gateway and
> center
> operators are still critical to the equation.  But I also
believe you
> will
> see a much stronger demand for OMA IM&P standards
compliance by
> wireless
> operators over the course of the next 12 months.

have been
> reached
> among large members about implementing the support in
mass market
> terminal
> devices, and all manufacturer are walking away abnd
comming back to
> proprietary solutions.
> In any case having a WV compliant interface wouldn have
meant having a
> WV
> client protocol implemented, and above all would not have
meant beaing
> able
> to get rid of the SMS gateway.
> Today there is one single big player (Logica/CMG) that
represent some
> 70% of
> the SMS center market and several smaller players
(Erricsson, Nokia,
> Sema)
> and all these machines belong to telcos. Without access
to a telco
> network,
> no SMS is possible, as SMS uses the SS7 signaling path.
>
> I am sorry to say that your analysis is not up to date
with the actaul
> state
> of this market, and that apart from being a good source
of ideas to
> implement protocoles, the WV initiative will not lead to
concrete
> realisations.
>
> That said, we do provide commercial grade XMPP/SMS
gateways using
> either
> SMPP, CMIP or UCP as connection protocol. We have several
of this
> gateways
> operating in telcos environment, and you would not find
another way of
> doing
> SMS: there should be acommercial agreement between the
XMPP service