[standards-jig] DTCP/JOBS/etc Madness -- Part Deux

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Tue Dec 17 00:26:51 UTC 2002

On Monday 16 December 2002 07:37 am, Dave Smith wrote:
> I'm going to investigate this further and amend my proposal to use
> SOCKS5 as wire protocol.

After reading RFC 1928, I'm trying to see how this would work, yet stay
transparent when involving a proxy.

In terms of DTCP:

1) Serving client generates a DTCP key for the session (nothing new here)
2) Serving client would request a session with the proxy via Jabber, using the
DTCP key.
3) DTCP jabber handshake
4) Connecting client connects to a host, and SOCKS authenticates using the
serving client's JID and key as username and password respectively.
5) If the host is the serving client itself (ie, not a proxy), then the
serving client finishes the SOCKS handshake.  END.
6) If the host is a proxy, then the proxy generates a 'ticket key', and sends
this (along with the DTCP key it received) to the serving client via jabber.
7) The serving client then SOCKS authenticates with the proxy, using its JID
and 'ticket key' as the username and password respectively.
8) The proxy then finishes the SOCKS handshake to both the serving and
connecting clients (or sends errors to each, as necessary).  END.

What do others think?

-Justin