[standards-jig] Re: Standards-JIG digest, Vol 1 #407 - 5 msgs

Jean-Louis Seguineau/EXC/TEC jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com
Tue Dec 17 01:00:10 UTC 2002

It's certainly easy to give one's veiw point about any subject. And it is
certainly easy for someone who has never done something to call it
"trivial". The major difference is that we have actually implemented
commercial services using XMPP/SMS application gateway, i.e not only
receiving SMS from a jabber client, but allowing an SMS phone to be a jabber
client. The gateway part, although simple, is not what I would call trivial,
the application part being certainly trickier.
Lastly most other SMS gateway implementation are unidirectional, (ICQ, AOL)
whereas we offer full bi-directional SMS/XMPP transport.

As to OMA, having been member of this organization, and being still in
contact with its major members, I would dare to say that I have a better
insight of what is going on that you may have as an outsider.
Lastly, my company being one of the three wireless IM solution providers in
the world with actual live implementation, I definitely think we have a
better understanding of the strategy of these companies that you may have.
The future in this area is a split between SIP/SIMPLE and XMPP. There is no
OMA compliant server, and in the end it will dilute in the SIP/SIMPLE
approach.