[standards-jig] JEP 65 - Bytestreams

Jan Niehusmann jan at gondor.com
Wed Dec 18 15:07:57 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 06:31:03AM -0800, Justin Karneges wrote:
> What do others think about the use of SOCKS ?  If there are developers not

I didn't use SOCKS yet, and I don't know much about it. But reading the
RFC, it looks like a good choice for our needs. Perhaps we missed a major
problem, so it would be nice if we had an implementation of JEP-65 (or, as
useful, JEP-46 with SOCKS as a wire protocol), but otherwise I like the
idea of using it.

> protocol be interesting?  As it stands, I still don't see the need to create
> an entirely new specification, when we can just roll good ideas back into JEP
> 46.  SOCKS could very well be one of those good ideas, and Diz of course
> would be credited.

Exactly my opinion, the two JEPs are have so much in common that JEP 65
could be seen as an update to JEP 46.

What do you think about the following schedule?
- Agree on some proposed JEP that combines DTCP and Byte Stream as soon as
  possible (this week!)
- Extend last call for JEP 46 to give people time to implement example client
  and server components, to get some experience with the proposal. As
  these examples don't need to be bug free etc., we could have working
  versions by the end of this year
- If all goes well, let the council vote on it at the beginning of next
  year

I know this is a rather tight schedule, but I think it can work and if
it does, we can have working file transfer implementations early next
year.

Jan