[standards-jig] JEP 65 - Bytestreams

Jan Niehusmann jan at gondor.com
Thu Dec 19 12:18:05 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 10:47:40AM -0700, Peter Millard wrote:
> As a client author, I tend to like -65 better since it disallows the chaotic
> nature of multiple connections being attempted at once, this flow each
> entity trying to contact the other on potentially up to 3 sockets just seems
> to lead to a state chart that I'm not sure I want to implement.

I agree that 65 looks much cleaner in that regard, but at a cost: The
user may have to wait for a TCP timeout (in the order of 30s-1m) if the
first connection attempt doesn't work. Do you have a solution for that
problem?

A delay of up to 10s may be acceptable, but 1m is not!

If this problem could be solved in any other way, I'd say it's a perfect
reason to drop -46 (or modify it accordingly)

But I fear that any solution would involve connecting in both directions
at the same time, which is exactly the behaviour you want to avoid.

Jan