[standards-jig] JEP 65 - Bytestreams

Jan Niehusmann jan at gondor.com
Thu Dec 19 14:40:57 UTC 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 07:20:24AM -0700, Peter G. Millard wrote:
> basically white-listing for p2p connections). These are 2 simple things that
> will mitigate the "wait for a TCP timeout here" stuff several people have
> mentioned. It's the job of the client/consumer applications of this protocol
> to use it "wisely".

I got many complaints by users who said that our mail server was
extremely slow. In all cases, these users missconfigured their personal
firewalls to discard ident requests instead of answering them or sending
a RST, so the SMTP server had to wait for a TCP timeout. Some of them
where unable to correct that problem.

So I think configuring a jabber client properly would be too difficult
for these users. They just don't understand IP networking.

Jan