[standards-jig] JEP 65 - Bytestreams

Jan Niehusmann jan at gondor.com
Thu Dec 19 14:44:43 UTC 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 07:25:31AM -0700, Dave Smith wrote:
> You know, this scenario of waiting will still happen with JEP 46. If
> both parties exchange IPs that are fully NAT'd, neither party will be
> able to connect and you get the dreaded "1m" delay. Having both parties
> attempt to connect to each other in no way solves the possibility of a
> long connect sequence.

Well yes, but people understand if the computer tries connecting for 1m
and then says 'Sorry, this is not possible'.

But if the transfer does work after waiting 1m, and that delay occurs
for every single connection, people get annoyed. And in my experience,
most of them will blame such delays to 'slow networks', and won't look
for some 'I am behind a firewall' configuration.

Jan