[standards-jig] JEP 65 - Bytestreams

Tod Ihde TIhde at OwensForestProducts.com
Thu Dec 19 14:49:01 UTC 2002

Your SMTP server requires IDENT to operate efficiently? Your SMTP server is
misconfigured.

As an aside, may I remind you ALL that jabber clients are supposed to be
used by lusers, in addition to yourselves? Most lusers I know have no idea
what NAT is, whether or not they're behind a firewall, or even what thir IP
address is.

If you want to write a client which can accept clueful "hints" from lusers,
so be it - but don't kid yourself by thinking it should be part of the spec
- it shouldn't.

Clients should be prepared to figure out, without luser intervention, how to
reach another client, if you're going to do p2p and have anyone other than
yourselves use it.

I can't think of any other messenger client which requires user knowledge of
their network in order to function, although I can think of one or two which
will use hints to function better/faster.

As far as tcp timeouts are concerned, they're unavoidable, unless we somehow
get privledged access to the TCP stack, and there's no way that should be in
the spec. ;) The trick is writing a spec with enough intelligence to deal
with diverse networking conditions (Some of you have already realized and
said this, some of you may not have).

 My 0.02
  Tod.