[standards-jig] JEP 65 - Bytestreams

Jan Niehusmann jan at gondor.com
Thu Dec 19 23:26:32 UTC 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 02:09:22PM -0700, Ben Schumacher wrote:
> 1) It is your *job* to support these users. Whether or not you like it,
> it is what you get paid to do.

I don't get paid for supporting users, and I could easily ignore their
complaints. But I already know their reaction: 'Jabber sucks. I stay
with <some IM protocol that happens to work>'

'Jabber sucks. It doesn't even have filetransfer' is the
second most frequent reason for not using Jabber I hear, already.
Right after 'Jabber sucks. Nobody uses it. All my friends use <some
other IM>'

> OS-level call to see what IPs my box has? If my machine is multi-homed
> on several connections, I could be passing several IPs, some of which
> will be impossible for the far end to route to. How does the client know
> which is the preferred IP in this case?

If the client can't make a reasonable guess about its own IP address, it
can initiate a DTCP connection without any <host/> given. That way it
falls back to the same behaviour JEP-64 uses.

But as I wrote in another mail - please don't take this question too
serious. I'd like to have it addressed, but getting a good standard soon
is much more important.

Jan