[standards-jig] JEP 65 - Bytestreams

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Fri Dec 20 00:44:23 UTC 2002

On Thursday 19 December 2002 03:55 pm, Ben Schumacher wrote:
> The 'connect in both directions simultaneously' mechanism does not
> ensure that the TCP connection sets up quickly, just like Diz said.
> Actually, on low bandwidth connections (maybe even the hardware in
> embedded systems -- I don't have enough experience with these), I
> wouldn't be surprised if it slows down the amount of time it takes to
> establish a TCP connection.

This can be solved by the implementation for that scenario.  Implementations
of DTCP do not necessarily _have_ to connect at the same time, and providing
hosts is optional by either the initiator or target.

> I don't understand your logic, or Justin's, for that matter. You have
> both regularly stated that DTCP is an easier protocol to implement, yet
> you continually reject complaints from *client developers* that disagree
> (namely, PGM and DizzyD).

Have they tried to implement either spec for fair comparison?  After coding
DTCP and reading JEP-65, I'd say they are about the same in difficulty, but
that is just my opinion.

-Justin