[standards-jig] Icon Styles again (JEP-0038)

Sebastiaan 'CBAS' Deckers cbas at screaming3d.com
Sat Dec 21 22:36:04 UTC 2002

Adam Theo wrote:
> A long time in the coming, but I'm finally getting around to finishing
> the Icon Styles JEP (0038), otherwise known as the "emoticons spec"
> <http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0038.html>.

I'd like to propose an addendum to the specification.
 From my experience as a client developer, I have found that people
appreciate WYSIWYG emoticons.  This means when someone uses a specific
emoticon style, that the recipient's client renders the message using
those same emoticons.

I have been using a custom extension in my client, under the namespace
"rhymbox:x:jep-0038".

Example:
<message to="theo at theoretic.com/desktop">
</message>

Now Adam's client can use the emoticon style called "rhymbox-1.0" to
filter the message, and then display that specific ":-)" image (or
anything else that might be supported by this particular client and icon
style).

I would like to move this extension into the JEP, and hopefully make it
a JSF approved specification.  The namespace will have to change to
something like "http://jabber.org/protocol/icon-styles".

However there is room for improvement.
For starters the <name/> element I'm using should change to <iconstyle/>
so we don't confuse with the more descriptive <name/> element inside the
icondef.xml file.
Another change is sending a hint to the recipient to let him know you
are writing an icon-free message.  We all know how annoying it when you
send source code to someone and his/her client replaces a bunch of
characters with smiley faces.  That can seriously piss off users.
A remedy would be to use an empty <iconstyle/> element as a flag to let
the recipient's client know NOT to filter the <body/> for emoticons.

Example:
<message to="theo at theoretic.com/desktop">
</message>

A receiving client should not parse this message for emoticons, or
provide the recipient (user) with the choice of overriding such behaviour.

I want to add that this extension can be used in more that just
<message/> elements.
Example: You could attach it to your <presence/> and then parse the
<status/> element for emoticons.

Future considerations: how do clients/users exchange icon styles?  Is
this up to the client or should there be a protocol for doing it P2P?
Maybe a centralised/distributed archive of all icon styles where people
can "trade" styles?

--
Sebastiaan