[standards-jig] Icon Styles again (JEP-0038)

Mattias Campe mattias.campe at rug.ac.be
Tue Dec 24 00:15:31 UTC 2002

 > Mattias Campe wrote:
 >
 >> Although I can see the use of how *much* a certain sound has to be
 >> played, I can't see the use of "length". Is it how *long* a sound
 >> needs to be played or you think of sth. else?

Adam Theo heeft geschreven:
> I was just thinking in terms of how long a sound bit is, so clients can
> decide if it is too large to bother with, but I can see how long to play
> the sound bit is useful, too. However, I don't think it's *that* useful.
> developers of the icon styles should only include what should be used in
> the icon, no more.
>
> Another attribute that may be useful for sounds is bitrate, telling the
> client the quality of the sound bit.

I think that the length of a sound or the bitrate itself shouldn't be
part of the specification, because that information is in the file
itself (or what if the length is specified as 0,5 seconds in
icondef.xml, but actually is 1 second?)

> And finally, is the object tag even used for sounds??? In all the
> examples and explanations I saw absolutely no mention of audio files,
> only visual. I'd like to know if the objevt tag is even meant to be used
> for sounds before I 'go generic' right now.

I'll try to look into this (same place, about the same time, but
tomorrow, right now I need some sleep ;) ).

greetings
Mattias