[standards-jig] JIDs

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 22:03:45 UTC 2002

On 2/4/02 1:21 PM, "Julian Missig" <julian at jabber.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 14:45, Iain Shigeoka wrote:

>> So you are correct in both the standard and the fact that many things are
>> non-compliant.  Which raises an interesting standards-jig question: should
>> we try and crack down on these violations, change the standards to fit the
>> implementations, or continue with the status quo?
>
> My vote is to first get clients and transports to support iq:gateway,
> then to crack down on violations...

One major question is how to crack down on violators...  :)  The
JabberPowered logo requirements may be a good stick/carrot for that.

> Maybe sometime this week I'll write up a JEP for iq:gateway to encourage
> people to support it. Funny that the only JEPs I seem to be in charge of
> are ones I don't support yet :)

He he he.

> The major question is how we get all of these rosters switched from % --
> maybe the transports could accept both % and whatever new character(s)
> they decide on? Transport authors? comments?

It is a bit contradictory.  You want to use a character _not_ found in
usernames, but that is legal in a the JID username field so you can
represent all possible usernames!  Perhaps people should be encouraged to
use a different gateway pattern like:

gateway.hostname at gateway.jabber.server.hostname/gateway.username

Or something similar?  If we are going to insist people stop using the
current (non-compliant) pattern we should offer a suggested replacement.

-iain