[standards-jig] JIDs

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Tue Feb 5 08:20:19 UTC 2002

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 02:03:45PM -0800, Iain Shigeoka wrote:
> It is a bit contradictory.  You want to use a character _not_ found in
> usernames, but that is legal in a the JID username field so you can
> represent all possible usernames!
In most cases the character needed is character which cannot be part of
domain name. And rules of making domain names are quite restrictive.
And if the transport needs something more it can do some escaping on
the parts of the jid.

One of idea I have for gateway jid is:
	user..target.domain at gateway

Using resource part of JID for encoding gateway users doesn't seem good
for me. JIDs that differ only in resource are supposed to be "owned" by
the same user. And there is already defined meaning for resource of
transport user (/registered...)

Greets,
	Jacek