[standards-jig] RFC draft #2

Fabrice DESRE - FT.BD/FTRD/DTL/MSV fabrice.desre at francetelecom.com
Tue Feb 5 13:52:34 UTC 2002

> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
> I've posted the second draft of the RFC. The goodies added include
> DTDs,
> XML schemas, and examples for each core data type (message, presence,
> iq)

 Hum, the schemas need a good rewrite :-(. First, they specify a version
of XML Schema (http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema) that is not the
final recommandation. Second, they're full of errors.

 For instance, here is quick attempt to fix the "stream" schema :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<xsd:schema
  xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'
  targetNamespace='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'
  elementFormDefault="qualified">

<xsd:element name='stream'>
  <xsd:complexType>
    <xsd:choice>
      <xsd:any namespace='jabber:client' maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
      <xsd:any namespace='jabber:component' maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
      <xsd:any namespace='jabber:server' maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
    </xsd:choice>
    <xsd:attribute name='to' type='xsd:string' use='required'/>
    <xsd:attribute name='from' type='xsd:string' use='optional'/>
  </xsd:complexType>
</xsd:element>
</xsd:schema>

 I'll be glad to help fixing the schemas if I find time to do it.
However be aware that you won't be able to model some constraints
with XML Schemas that are currently in the spec. Two are
obvious from the stream schemas : you can't enforce 'stream' as
a namespace prefix to the 'stream' element, and you also can't enforce
the default namespace declaration 'jabber:client' since it is NOT an
attribute. These are mistakes in the jabber protocol design.

	Fabrice
--
Fabrice Desré - France Telecom R&D/DTL/MSV
Tel: +(33) 2 96 05 31 43