[standards-jig] JIDs

Mike Lin mikelin at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 5 14:04:52 UTC 2002

There is an undocumented "trick" in JID routing that specifies the
following, which will probably solve your problems. If a packet is
directed to a resource and that resource is not found, the server
attempts to route the packet to the longest active resource whose name
matches the beginning of the requested resource. So for example, if I am
logged on only as

mlin at mlin.mit.edu/resource

Packets directed to the following resources will all be routed to me:

mlin at mlin.mit.edu/resource
mlin at mlin.mit.edu/resource2
mlin at mlin.mitedu/resourceblah

How you could use this for transport routing should be obvious. This
addressing requirement is actually the reason why this routing trick is
in the server.

-Mike