[standards-jig] No Subject....

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 18:13:49 UTC 2002

On 2/4/02 4:37 PM, "Dave Smith" <dizzyd at jabber.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 04:49:03PM -0500, Mike Lin wrote:

>> There are real benefits to new implementations (such as Jabber.NET and
>> Jabber for embedded devices) from having JEP-0017-style framing
>> information available, since it makes XML Stream interpretation much
>> easier.
>
> I concur that there could be speed benefits, but (as Dave Waite has
> noted), there are significant issues with malformed XML compromising the
> system at a level other than jpoll/c2s component. In other words, by
> doing this framing you provide the ability for malformed XML to make it
> farther into the routing system and could cause jabberd to drop a
> connection to components (due to the bad XML), as opposed to having the
> c2s/jpoll drop the client connection. This would be very bad, and IMHO,

Although this is a bit academic, I want to protest the decision making of
Jabber standards based solely on particular Jabber implementations.  Now it
is good and practical to discuss how standards will affect various
implementations.  However, the merits of a particular standard should stand
on their own (as much as possible.)  So in this case, framing may have
consequences for how jabberd is designed and operates.  And it should be
discussed.  But we should be careful in making decisions on the
validity/usefulness of a standard just because it exposes weaknesses in a
particular implementation.  Just my 2cents.

-iain