[standards-jig] <error/> as child element

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 17:23:53 UTC 2002

On 2/12/02 8:09 AM, "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:

> The old DTDs say that any number of <error/> elements can be included. Is
> this accurate? If so, I need to change the schemas so they read:
>
> <xsd:element ref='error' minOccurs='0' maxOccurs='unbounded'/>

It may help for tracing purposes to allow multiple <error/> elements
(different sub systems or perhaps stack traces would find it easier to
report errors separately using separate <error/> elements.)  This is
especially true if errors can be generated from different causes (and thus
have different error codes.)  OTOH, if no one actually uses multiple
elements, perhaps we should reduce it to one and only one... :)  Knowing
there can be only one makes the client implementer's job easier for
reporting errors to users.

-iain