[standards-jig] JEP-0017

Mike Lin mikelin at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 19 19:13:24 UTC 2002

Firstly, I would like to say that I am very satisfied and very grateful
with how the discussion over JEP-0017 has evolved. Some serious problems
that I hadn't thought of were pointed out, and I like to think that it
has started the intellectual ball rolling on framing in JNG, which was
definitely a goal from the start.

That stated, I still believe JEP-0017 framing will be useful in the near
term (within the next year) since it is unlikely that JNG will be
substantially deployed within that time period.

In the face of the misframe propagation problem that was pointed out by
David Waite, Diz, and others, I'll withdraw all predictions of how the
framing will "obviously" improve performance. However, I can confidently
predict that it can perform at least as well as can be done currently.

The code simplicity reason why JEP-0017 adds "real value" that I've been
referring to time and again is quite subtle and is most clear if you
have the experience of having actually implemented a Jabber XML stream
processor. In the worst case, the framing data makes no difference to
the stream processor; in the best case, it makes the processor's task
vastly simpler and less error-prone (depending on variables like the XML
parsing suite used, asynchronous I/O capabilities of the system,
willingess to reimplement portions of processor code, and so on).

In the end, I would like to see JEP-0017 or some derivative thereof as
an active informational JEP so that the option is at least legitimately
available to new implementations. I think this is a case where the line
between informational and standards is somewhat blurred.

I've updated JEP-0017 to reflect this new thinking. I hope we can build
a test implementation and move JEP-0017 to draft stage in the near
future.

-Mike